Monday, October 12, 2015

Project 2 Outline

This blog post includes and outline of my plans for my project, as well as a paragraph which explains how this outline was effected by reading from Writing Public Lives.

"Pen Outline." 10/11/15 via npics.
The biggest thing that initially helped me from the reading was finding the distinction between what should be included or thought of as my introduction, and what should really stand out as my thesis. The thesis-is that I worked on in my last blog post included contextual information, that is really more fitting as part of the introduction. The thesis is supposed to be more related to arguments and claims that my paper is centered around. For this reason the thesis also ties in very closely with my analytical claims. Another portion of the text that helped shape my outline was the section on textual evidence. This influenced my ideas for body paragraphs and support of my analytical claims because it made me realize including the text as support and just using the text in my body in general are key to a successful paper.


Introduction:
The first sentence of the introduction should catch the interest of the audience.
The remainder of my into should give details and context regarding the article, such as title, date, author, and primary issues.
Then I should include the thesis of my article, and then transition into my thesis.

Thesis:
Some of the content I included in my thesis workshop, I decided would be more fitting for an introduction. Although my thesis will most likely be worked into my introduction, as the contextual information is included previously, the thesis portion will center around rhetorical analysis and strategies used by the author.

Body Paragraphs:
The first paragraph or grouping of paragraphs of mine should include more context and details regarding the Toshiba controversy.

My second paragraph or grouping of paragraphs should begin to look at the article. First, I should give context regarding the article, some research on the author, and the place of publication.

Third, I need to discuss the thesis of the article, and how this relates to the Toshiba controversy, and the context of the article.

Finally, I will discuss the various methods that are used by the author to communicate this thesis to the audience effectively. This portion of the body will hopefully include a good deal of content.


Analytical claims:
The biggest claims of my analysis are that Toshiba's reputation was ruined, and that the author of the article stresses the value of honor and reputation. I also will argue that there are values in the article that are important in Japanese culture, the culture of the scandal, and American culture, the culture of the author and publisher. Finally, I will claim that the author leans heavily on an appeal to ethos to communicate and argument and strengthen his credibility.

Support:
The first claim I can support with details of the controversy, and selections from the article, including title and thesis. The second claim I can also support with content from the article, but also with content from research and outside sources, which given the size of the claim and topic, I am sure will be easy to find. Finally, I will use portions of the Students Guide and content from the article to support my last claim.

Conclusion:
Finally, my conclusion will reiterate much of the information contained in my thesis. All the analytical claims I make will be included in my thesis, and will then be restated at the conclusion. After supporting evidence and logical arguments, my claims will be backed up, and restating them will remind the reader of what I was arguing. Finally, I will try and end on a profound or questioning note, not exactly sure what yet, that will let the reader know I am concluding my analysis.



After reading Michaela and Joki's blog posts I'm a little unsure if I did this assignment right or not. For me this was a process and thinking exercise for me to sit down and write about where I envisioned my article going. It was more conceptual, and I saw this in Joki's post. I know what I want to do as far as organization and how to most effectively communicate my argument consistently. However, Michaela had more specific content that she was including in her draft and eventual project, and so I was unsure if I was supposed to include very specific ideas for content in this outline. Either way, I think this outline will help me immensely with drafting.

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you have a pretty good outline made here. You get very specific which I think will make your drafting much easier. I was just curious about your body paragraphs, though, and how you wait until the 2nd body paragraph (which is actually the 3rd or 4th paragraph) to start discussing the actual article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Yours is also paragraphed styled. I used bullet points to outline my uh... outline, but pretty much most I've seen are like this. You went pretty in-depth and were rather specific. I'm also making the decision to give a bit of background before actually analyzing the article, too.

    ReplyDelete