Saturday, October 3, 2015

Analyzing my Own Assumptions

In this blog post I will compare my personal beliefs to those that are valued in my article of choice, which I discussed in my previous blog post.

Oh, Mathias. "Screenshot of a Thought Bubble." 10/02/15 via Wordpress.
Of the primary values that I discussed from the article, I personally share all of them. Reputation, honesty, and honor are all very important to me. The three ideas are very similar, and have endured because basic human morals value honesty, and ones reputation will always be important. The way someone is perceived and talked about by others will almost always matter to them, and for them to have an honorable reputation is important, thus this value has endured.

There is nothing valued by the article that is not reflected in my own view, as it is intended for an American audience like myself. The primary issue deals with honesty, which is something I value immensely, and every other value that goes hand in hand with this I also value, so there is no belief that I do not share.

The text is written by an American, primarily for Americans, but about a Japanese controversy. Both these cultures value connect to and reflect the importance of honesty that leads to a honorable reputation. These ideas are valued almost universally by cultures. Again, the moral values at the center of the article are widely upheld as right, so there are no values in the article that aren't shared in American culture. America does not place as much importance on honorable reputations, but it is still valuable to them.

The text is written during my time, and is actually very recent, so the valued cultural beliefs have not changed.


After reading Grace and Zayla's articles I learned a few things about my own post and my article. First I discovered that many of the modern controversies involve values that have changed drastically in the last few centuries. My article however deals with key ideas that have been upheld throughout centuries and from culture to culture. I feel that this will be a fairly unique situation. Second, I discovered that people are also dealing with controversial values, that many value and others don't. My controversy exists because the key values were violated, which created an outcry, whereas other students controversies they are analyzing have to do with people fighting over different values.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what you were saying about your own beliefs on the controversy you are working with. Due to the nature of you agreeing with everything from your article, it may be important to keep the other side of the argument in mind when doing your analysis to avoid falling trap to bias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with what you are saying about agreeing with your article's opinion. I think that this could either be good or bad for us because it has become really easy for me to side with my article and use my own opinions to help my article as well. I think that using an article about morals is awesome because the views and opinions on morals are so fluid and everyone has different ideas of what they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with agreeing with the opinion of your article. It can be hard to see the good in something that is bad. Something that I have to work really hard on in everything I do though, is being able to see the other side and try to understand why people feel the way that I don't.

    ReplyDelete