Sunday, November 8, 2015

Considering Visual Elements

This blog post discusses the visual aspect of project 3 according to questions posed by Writing Public Lives.

Bergsrom, Bo. "Papercut Graphic Design." 08/11/15 via Wordpress
1. Does the image inform or emphasize my argument in an important way, or does it seem superficial or unrelated to my argument?
This question is important for me to ask myself before I chose images for my project. They need to correlate well with my argument to be effective and memorable, so the answer to this question should be yes, it does inform and emphasize my argument.

2. Is the image in close proximity to the argument it is emphasizing or illustrating?
I need to ensure that my images are all on the same slide as the argument that connects to them. If not they are pretty out of context and hard to understand. For all my images the answer to this question should be yes.

3. Is the feeling or tone that the image invokes appropriate to the visual-rhetorical tone of my argument?
This is especially important for me to consider with images that are not graphs. Most of my data goes hand in hand with a logos approach, but anything that is meant to come from a pathos approach has to do with imagery. For this reason I need to ensure the answer to this question is yes, the image is appropriate to the corresponding rhetorical tone.

4. Scan your public argument or your outline. Do your eyes move easily from section to section in the order that you intended?
This question is important to consider because of the key role organization plays to my argument. I have to continually consider what the logical order and flow of information is, and make sure that the layout of my slides visually directs the audience in my intended direction.

5. Do the visual images help you move from point to point in the argument clearly?
Again, as my argument is multiple pieces, using images to move from point to point clearly will help my project be that much more effective. Answering this question yes throughout will be key.

6. Do the different visual and textual elements come together persuasively as a whole, or are there elements that seem disconnected or out of place?
Ensuring that the visual elements of my project are directly tied in to textual explanation and argument is key to the success or failure of the argument. Keeping this in mind is key throughout.



After reading Chad and Grace's posts, I realized that everyone in the class is doing very unique projects, which will be very cool to see when the end result is finalized. Ultimately, with such diversity in projects, the most important thing for every individual, including myself, is realizing how our topic and genre work together to be the most effective. Utilizing visuals as effectively as possible starts with understanding how our genre can best fit our argument and topic, which I learned from reading peers discussions of visual elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment