Saturday, September 5, 2015

Annotated Bibliography in Physiology's Style

This blog post is an Annotated Bibliography of all the sources I analyzed and complied in my last blog posts. My sources are cited in the Journal of Physiology style, according to their online guide.


Crisg. "Diary." 08/29/13 via Clipart. Public Domain Dedication License.



This New York Times article discusses the controversy of Froome, and his possible performance enhancing drug use. It summarizes a portion of the Tour de France, then discusses the video and data that was publicly released that brought Froome into question. It then details the discussion between Vayer, a anti-doping representative, and Froome, and how the data fit into their argument. This was the first article I read on the controversy, and so all my initial findings related to this story were from this article. The articles purpose is to introduce the controversy to the public. As it details the controversy in a detailed but not over-complex manner, I will use this article frequently.


This source is a Storify account of one Sophie Hurcom. It contains a fair amount of information, not from Sophie herself, but what she has complied, and her purpose was simply to put together information with a few of her own comments and ideas. There are many screenshots of Tweets and other social media from famous cyclists, professional coaches, and many other authorities on cycling. The biggest benefit of this source is that it contains a great deal of input from many directly involved, and is not information coming indirectly from media and reporters who can twist and spin words. For this reason, I see myself using this source a great deal.




The purpose of this article is to explore why doping in cycling is so much more rampant than in other professional sports. The article discusses the recent (at the time) national controversy of Lance Armstrong and doping. It then analyzes the history of doping in cycling and lays out the complex doping process and testing procedures to attempt to understand why it is so common amongst cyclists. This article was helpful for my own personal understanding of why doping is such an issue in cycling, so it will be helpful for me to use to explain that to readers of my project.



This Huffington Post article is meant to prepare readers for the 2014 Tour de France, which at the time of the articles was still upcoming. It methodically goes over the history and tradition of doping in cycling, and the important information that those interested in viewing the upcoming Tour de France should know. It also mentions Froome briefly for some controversy he caused, as well as other controversial situations leading up to the event. As it lays out a good foundation of the history of doping in cycling for the casual observer, I will use this article a lot.


This is the personal Twitter account of “Real Gaz of Trumpton,” whose true identity I could not discover. It is his/her musings on random topics, but he/she is clearly involved in cycling, and likes to post his/her personal opinions and ideas based on big occurrences in the cycling world. This source did not lead to any major results, but I did observe that it is not a credible source, and thus do not see myself using it extensively, if at all, in the future.

  • Reichman, N, Sefiha, O. (2013). Regulating Performance-Enhancing Technologies: A Comparison of Professional Cycling and Derivatives Trading. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 649, 98-119.
This journal article discusses the evolution of doping in the realm of cycling. It looks at the advancements in technology, and the increasingly complex methods of successfully getting away with doping. These more advance methods, in turn brought greater results, making athletes perform to an entirely new level. The purpose of this article is to track the change and growth in the doping industry, and to display the increased results. As it is scholarly and contains tons of information on the subject and process of doping, I will use this article extensively.


This article, from Sports Scientists, approaches the controversy of Froome from a more athletic standpoint. The purpose of the article is to argue that the information and data that Froome has covered up should be available, and that hiding it suggests guilt. The article begins by introducing the circumstances of Froome, and the data that was released about his cycling, then discusses the suddenness with which it was covered up. This strange cover up lead to skepticism and speculation regarding the validity of the data, and the hushed nature that it was treated with. This article furthered my knowledge on the physiology of the data that was discovered, and will be used extensively to highlight the importance of and connection between physiology in the cycling controversy.


  • Strulik, H. (2012). Riding High: Success in Sports and the Rise of Doping Cultures. Scand. J. of Economics 114(2), 539–574.
The purpose of this scholarly article is to break down further the implications and effects of doping, not only on athletic performance, but on much more. The article scrutinizes the decisions that athletes make whether to dope or not, and how they consider their athletic improvement as well as reputation and standing with peers. It also speculates on how doping and the culture it creates can be eliminated, and what factors play into this. This is an extremely complex article, and is not centered on exactly what I am considering with my controversy, so I see myself using it, but only a little.


This is another article written with the purpose of providing information on the controversy involving Chris Froome and the questionable data released about him. However, this article is discussing data that team Sky, Froome's team, has released, and the article brings up this data then lays out the accusations of skeptics, questioning if the data released will silence the doubters. Probably the most useful part of this article is the interview of Froome. I have an article that is similar, that I like better, so I will only use this source a moderate amount.







After reading Zayla and Stef's blog posts I realized two things. First, I am glad that I have practiced citation styles in the past seemingly endlessly, because it makes me comfortable first with my own bibliography, but also allows me to find and help with small mistakes and quirks of citations. Second, I realized that I need to spend a little more time exploring how to use the blogging format to the best of my ability, and in the most effective way possible. I say this because I spent a little time trying to figure out how to use a hanging indent in my bibliography, then decided it was impossible in the restrictions of the blog format, and gave up. However, clearly from other peoples' posts this is not the case, and I just need to explore and research how to use Blogger more comfortably. 

1 comment:

  1. I count 9 entries here - the assignment was to post 10 entries. Just a heads up.

    ReplyDelete