Thursday, September 24, 2015

Reflection on Project 1

This blog post is my own personal reflection on my writing process during Project #1, and what was challenging and what was successful in my QRG.


Howcheng. "Mount Hood Reflected in Mirror Lake, Oregon." Unknown, via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication License


1. The biggest struggle related to my controversy was the narrowness and simplicity of it. Although I did expand into other areas, the biggest issue was the one and done aspect of it. The controversy I chose was related a one time issue that was never really resolved, and nothing was actually proved, so it was hard to argue anything, or stir up empathy or interest from the audience at times. In a few instances I felt like I was trying to make a big deal out of a simple occurrence, but then I realized that that is what much of sports journalism is, and what most controversies are nowadays, a big fluster about nothing. This was the only big issue I came across in my QRG process, and I dealt with it by finding tons of references and sources to emphasize the reality of the controversy.

2. The biggest successes I found in the project were the exercises related to clarity. Having such specific editing processes, related to such an important idea, was key to the process of my project. Clarity is something I struggle with, so getting some advice on it, then applying it directly to my editing was very helpful, and, I think, successful. Also, having a clear idea of what to edit for in general lead to great success. Instead my typical random and unfocused approach, having goals in mind was more concrete, organized, and helpful.
3. As I said before, nothing was resolved with my controversy, so it was hard to make arguments. I used visuals, a wide variety of sources, social media, and hyperlinks as effective rhetorical strategies. One writing practice I found effective (I think) was drafting more words and content, and then finding imagery to fit it. I started with a general outline and foundation of ideas, then elaborated on important points, then filled in with supporting images and more content. This led to solid organization and clear central ideas, with lots of support surrounding it. I went with simple design choices, which I felt was clean, but still appealing to the audience.
4. My arguments were not effective simply because of the controversy I chose, and there was not substantial data for either side. The writing practice I followed fell short with quotes. I didn't have many quotes originally, and instead went back and added them. I added them to strategic places where they fit, and my quotes were not out of place, they just caused redundancies and overly long paragraphs in some situations. A place where my design choices fell short was in my lack of questioning subheadings, that I found very successful in the example QRGs.
5. This writing process was similar in that I had a drafting stage and a revision stage, and I had to write an annotated bibliography. The emphasis on visuals and source variety was also similar to some projects I have had in past writing classes, such as my English 205 class I took at Highline College recently.
6. The process was different from past experiences in that there was so many small pieces leading up to it in the form of blog posts. Also, the genre of a QRG was completely new to me, and some of the conventions of the genre such as hyperlinking were new. Finally, the guided editing process through reading of a textbook was a first time experience, and was extremely helpful.
7. I think a majority of the skills I learned from this writing process will be useful in the future. The clear and goal minded editing process will be a huge help to me in the future, and everything I learned on clarity will come in handy everywhere in my life. The only things I see possibly not being used are ideas specifically related to the genre of a QRG that I learned, but even many of these, such as the power of imagery, can be utilized in many genres.






After reading Michaela and Olivia's blog posts I realized two things. First, is that the initial stages of writing can be very difficult, and all the planning and pre work can get long, but it is crucial to a successfully organized and well written final project. Mastering the pre-drafting and drafting process will be key to my writing success. Second, I learned that understanding complex material, in order to simplify it and communicate it clearly is key to many writing projects and processes. Again, clarity is key, but it hinges immensely on personal understanding, which is a view I hadn't considered before.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the Clarity sections were a great help. I was able to use those to go through and comb out things I wouldn't of caught before. Also our controversies are similar in the fact that nothing has been resolved and the debate isn't really heated up yet. That was probably one of my bigger challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually the opposite, and picked a giant, general topic. I had way too much research to read through, instead of too little. It wasn't until the end when I was revising and finally rooted my QRG in a specific event, so I could create a narrative flow that I finally was able to handle everything without totally overwhelming the reader.

    I have to say, there were definitely times during the writing process where I was wishing I had your problem instead of mine. But I can see how it would be really frustrating to just not have enough material to work with, because then you don't have any options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand what you mean about having a very narrow topic for your controversy. I definitely think that it's hard with some things to find enough in depth information regarding the topic. I kept feeling like I needed to find more but didn't know how to go about doing it. Although I did find the clarity sections a bit helpful, unlike you I didn't take the most from them. I can see how some people need to focus on that where as I felt the need to focus on perfecting different parts of my QRG. I definitely agree with you in the idea that this will help us throughout college!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that your reflection on sports journalism is interesting. I was very focused on ski racing in highschool, but towards the end I began to wonder if it was really worth devoting my life to being faster than other people going around in circles with plastic boards strapped to my feet. I guess I just realized that there is no objective value to sports -- only the value that you project on them.

    ReplyDelete