Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My Discipline

I currently am in the Physiology program at University of Arizona. The second most popular program at U of A, Physiology entails a great deal. In this blog post, I will try to explain what exactly the Physiology program at U of A covers, and what about it made it interesting to me.

Gustavorezende. "Anatomical Heart." 08/07/13 via Clipart. Public Domain Dedication License.
The primary focus of Physiology at University of Arizona, is learning how the human body works and functions. As with a typical Physiology program, students learn about different bodily functions, system by system. What makes the Physiology program at U of A unique however, is that there is no Pre-Med program at U of A, and the Physiology program essentially is the Pre-Med program.

For this reason, most of the Physiology students at U of A apply to med school and become some form of doctor. If not, Physiology can lead on to becoming a physical therapist, pharmacist, and various other professions.

The numerous options of Physiology are what drew me to this major. Right now my plan is to go on to med school, but I’m still not 100% that is what I want to do, and the various options of Physiology are perfect for me. As I’m not strictly in a Pre-Med program, if, along the line, I decide I do not want to be a doctor, I can still be a pharmacist, or go into physical therapy, among other options.

Ludmil Alexandrov is one of the most influential people in Physiology currently due to his research on mutation and strides against cancer. The FDA, or the US Food and Drug administration, has always been a huge part of Physiology and careers that it leads too.


In 2014 the leading journals in Physiology were, from #1-#3, Physiological Reviews, Annual Review of Plant Biology, and Cell Metabolism




After reading Jon and Austin's posts, I realized 2 things. One is that getting involved with people outside of my major and figuring out exactly what else is out there is very important to my collegiate success, because none of my academic decisions are set in stone yet. Second I learned some writing tips about how to be more organized in my Blog posts, and to always read my posts carefully before posting them. 

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't realized that the Physiology program was so popular at the U of A, or that it was used basically as a pre-med. I think it's good that you're willing to be flexible. Since so many people end up changing their majors, it's smart to think about that in the long run and choose something that has many options that would be okay with you in the future. This definitely made me more interested in finding out more about the physiology program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great hearing from someone in such a popular major! I wonder how your experience in such a large major will compare to my experience in physics, which has very few students. I loved your attitude on Physiology and it's different possibilities. I hadn't realized it was the default Pre-Med track here, although I have met quite a few people already who had told me they planned to take Physiology to become doctors.

    I think that not being 100% sure of your future is good, that way you aren't too grounded in one specific thing.

    ReplyDelete